Saturday, January 5, 2008

A Rustic Wrap for Dinner

I'm feeling more and more comfortable just "winging it" in the kitchen. My husband said he would make his own dinner tonight after I told him about what was in my arms that I gathered from the pantry and fridge. He despises most of these ingredients, so I figured he would cook himself eggs tonight. But being the great adventurer that he is, he tried my completed dinner before I sat down. I gave him a bite and he wouldn't give back the plate. He loved it. No worries, I had plenty more to make another wrap for me. Here's what I'm calling tonight's experiment:



A Rustic Wrap



1 tablespoon of canola oil



One diced yellow pepper



One diced sweet onion



1/2 cup of sliced mushrooms (I used "mini-bellas")



2 cups of baby spinach



6 oz. of firm tofu



3 tablespoons (0r more depending on your taste) of Eat Smart's brand: "Garden Style Sweet Salsa"



goat cheese crumbles



sun dried tomato torillas



Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. First add onions for about 3 minutes until soft. Then add peppers and mushrooms. Salt and pepper to taste. After they get soft (another 3-4 minutes), add the spinach. It will reduce very quickly to a manageable size. Add tofu and salsa. Continue cooking until vegetables are soft and tofu and salsa are heated to your liking. For me, that was another 3 minutes.



You can toast your torillas, but I didn't. I added 1/3 of the vegetable mix to one tortilla and sprinkled it with goat cheese crumbles. Enjoy!!


Here's a picture of the delicious salsa I found. It is not at all hot. Completely mild and much sweeter than typical salsa:


No comments: