Tuesday, December 4, 2007

My Grocery List! - Updated January 2008

This list is my master grocery list. I edit it depending on what meals I'm planning on. I know it's a long list of fresh items that have the potential to go bad in the fridge. However, I have found that when I buy it and I can see it (with an organized fridge), then I will eat it. Has anyone else discovered that shopping trips are quicker when armed with a list? I know it sounds simple, but I've gone to the grocery store both with and without a list. I spend more money and time when I do the latter.

One thing I feel very proud of is that the majority of my grocery cart is filled with bagged items and not prepared or boxed food. This list contains the main ingredients for the majority of my meals.

Please take a look at my entry about what's in my pantry to see the list of healthy items that will turn these items into truly delicious and healthy meals. You may consider adding some of the pantry items to your grocery list, as well.

Without further ado, here's the grocery list for Winter 2007:

PRODUCE SECTION

For Snacking
Carrots
Red Seedless Grapes
Fuji or Honeycrisp Apples
Clementine Oranges

For Breakfast (additions to smoothies or oatmeal)
Banana
Strawberries
Blueberries

For Cooked Greens
Spinach
Kale
Swiss Chard

For Roasting as side dishes
Cauliflower
Sweet Potatoes
Butternut Squash (already cut and cubed)
Yukon Potatoes
Parsnips

For Steaming as side dishes
Broccoli
Asparagus

For flavor when cooking
Green Onion (Scallions)
Garlic Cloves
Shallots
Yellow Onions
Ginger root
Fresh herbs (dill, thyme, bay leaves, parsley, etc)
Pinenuts

For flavor after cooking
Lemons
Limes

For salads
Romaine Lettuce
Tomatoes (grape or beefsteak)
Dried cranberries
Almonds or walnuts

DAIRY SECTION
Butter
Eggs
Fat Free Milk
Goat Cheese
Parmesan Cheese
Soy Milk

SOUPS (use these for rice, sauces, soup bases, everything!)
Chicken Broth
Vegetable Broth

GRAINS
Multi-Grain Bread (Fiber >4g)
Flax seed - sprinkle on yogurt or oatmeal
Bob's Red Mill 5 or 8 grain cereal (for hot breakfasts)

PROTEIN
Lean Chicken Breasts
Salmon
Ground Turkey
Firm Tofu
Canned Beans (garbanzo, black beans, kidney, etc.)

No comments: